Identifying and Removing Safety Clutter
This presentation will be of interest to safety practitioners (improving safety), management (streamlined safety) and front-line workers (increased trust in safety management).
Take aways or learning outcomes for audience members would include
- In practice, it is easier to add or expand safety work, than to remove or reduce safety work.
- Many regular or ad-hoc events trigger the addition or expansion of safety clutter, but relative few opportunities to remove or reduce safety clutter. Safety clutter is not inevitable.
Organisations can take steps to avoid the pressure in adding unhelpful safety by creating mechanisms for identifying and removing clutter.
- Start having conversations about clutter
- Find the low hanging fruit
- Conduct a controlled trial for removing a piece of clutter
- Redefine the role of safety professionals in creating safety